Pages

Tuesday 9 August 2005

HOWTO: iSync and Address Book for the Sony Ericsson K608i

Now that I have my phone set up for Bluetooth, I hacked my Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.2 to support the phone (using the well-published techniques from macosxhints.com).

If you have a Bluetooth-enabled Tiger Mac and a Sony Ericsson K608i, download the files from my website and follow the instructions below:

  1. To add support to iSync, make a new folder called PhonePlugins in your /Library folder.

  2. Put SonyEricssonK608i.phoneplugin.zip in this new folder.

  3. Double-click the .zip file to extract its contents into the folder. You can now delete the .zip file.

  4. To add support to Address Book, choose Go to Folder... from Finder's Go menu.

  5. Enter /Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/Telephony.bundle/Contents/Resources and click Go.

  6. Either open ABDeviceCommandSets.plist in Property List Editor and find K700 (in my version this is at Root/2/ABDeviceModelStrings/0), click it, click New Sibling and type K608. Save and close the file.

  7. Or download the ABDeviceCommandSets.plist.zip file, and extract it into that folder.

  8. Re-pair your phone from the Bluetooth menu extra. You should get the option to use iSync and Address Book.



Let me know if you use the files I provide, I hope they're useful.

7 comments:

  1. Nice one Joshua. I'm in the UK and just bought a K608i and was very disappointed to find out that it wasn't supported by iSync. I'm going to try these files when I get home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we add calander support to the phone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what you're asking for, the calendar works if you install the phoneplugin file I link to. You have to use iSync in your applications folder and Sync the phone via Bluetooth, anything in the iCal application will be added to your phone and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know if the phone has any hard limits on the number of Address Book and Calendar entries? Most SE phones I've looked at had very small number of entries eg 300 contacts and 300 calendar...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syd: I have no idea what the hard limit on contacts/calendar entries is -- it's not mentioned even in the developer whitepaper for the phone. I've only got about 20 entries in the phone so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!!! ur a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for that. it works perfectly !!

    ReplyDelete