Pages

Monday 18 July 2005

Screen capture on the Mac...

Apple's being a little devious now! While trying to take that screen shot that I blogged below, I had to close my DVD Player, even though I wasn't taking an image of the entire screen! (For what it's worth, I chose Window) A message pops up saying you must close the DVD player before taking a screen shot. Even the keyboard shortcut simply chimes at you (thought I had the wrong keyboard shortcut).

Bad show guys... least the DVD Player application remembers where it was up to now.

4 comments:

  1. I believe this is Apple complying with a legal requirement not to allow DVD images to be taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Apple changed things in Tiger. It used to be that you could take a screen shot successfully, but if the DVD player window was open it would be totally black. And then it was said that you could use SnapzPro with certain types of video cards to take the entire screen shot. That may or may not work now if Apple won't even let you hit the shortcut. You can use a different shortcut in SnapzPro, though.

    If you really would like to take a screen shot with a DVD picture in it, the old workaround of playing the DVD in VLC (VideoLan Client, free) still works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also open Terminal.app and use the screencapture command that will at least allow full screen captures while DVD Player is active. Not sure about interactive screenshots, which screencapture also allows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, I understand why this is (it's still silly, I mean DVD Player in Tiger is supposed to allow you to capture frames for use as poster images), but I wanted to take a picture of something other than the DVD, I just wanted to leave the DVD running.

    ReplyDelete